In this post I have included some of the most amazing Social Media statistics scoured from across the web. I will peroidically come back and update this post as I find more.
First I will include some general Social Media statistics,then I’ll break it down by each Social Media network.
- Adults aged 45-54 are the fastest growing segment of social media users now. 55% of this group now have a profile on at least one social network. (State of Search). Which leads us to believe that Social Media has reached the middle age.
- Did you know that if you are a Social Media user you are 18% more likely to work out at a gym.
- You are 19% more likely to attend a sporting event and 26% more likely to dispense opinion on current events and politics(for better of worse)(TECHi)
- As universal as business use of social media can seem to be, 26% of companies still block access to social media sites in their workplaces. 31% have no social media policy in place. (WordPress Hosting SEO)
- 75% of social media users “object to major companies and platforms using their personal information for commercial purposes.” And just 12% admit to having their purchases influenced by Facebook “Likes” or Google “+1s”.(Relevanza)
- Half of all social media users under age 35 follow their online friends’ product and service recommendations. (TECHi)
- 92% of small businesses say that social media is an effective marketing technology tool. They are evenly split on the effectiveness of social media for attracting new customers vs. engaging existing customers. (e-Strategy Trends)
- 87% of all small businesses say that Social Media helps their business(Vocus)
- Companies that generate more that 1000 Facebook likes, also receive nearly 1400 website visits a day(Hubspot)
photo credit: Dolan Geiman
YouTube is the #2 search engine on the web making it one great resource for traffic and leads.
- 700 YouTube video links are shared on Twitter every minute (source: Relevancy Group)
- 500 years of YouTube videos are watched on Facebook every day (source: Relevancy Group)
- 99% of US online specialty retailers use YouTube, up from 93% in 2012 (source: L2)
- More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube—that’s almost an hour for every person on Earth, and 50% more than last year
- 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- 70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- YouTube is localized in 56 countries and across 61 languages
- According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more US adults ages 18-34 than any cable network
- Millions of subscriptions happen each day, and the number of people subscribing has more than doubled since last year
photo credit: Vasjen Katro
With a billion active users, Facebook is a behemoth in the social media world.
- 79% of social media log ins by online retailers are with Facebook, compared to 12% for Google+, and 4% for Twitter (source: Gigya)
- Worldwide, there are over 1.19 billion active Facebook users.
- Facebook will account for 13% of worldwide mobile ad revenue in 2013 (source: L2)
- 4.5 billion likes generated daily as of May 2013 which is a 67 percent increase from August 2012
- Facebook users share 2.5B pieces of content on the site each day (source: Nielsen)
- 728 million people log onto Facebook daily, which represents a 25% increase from 2012
- 70% of business-to-consumer marketers have acquired a customer through Facebook (source: Hubspot)
- There are 874 million mobile active users which is a 45 percent increase from 2012. (Source: Facebook)
- Five new profiles are created every second.
- Facebook users are 53% female and 47% male.
- Highest traffic occurs mid-week between 1 to 3 pm.
- Photo uploads total 300 million per day.
- Average time spent per Facebook visit is 20 minutes.
- 42% of marketers report that Facebook is critical or important to their business.
- 16 Million local business pages have been created as of May 2013 which is a 100 percent increase from 8 million in June 2012. (Source: Facebook)
- Hubspot reports that 70% of business-to-consumer marketers have acquired a customer through Facebook.
Photo Credit: Alberto Pérez
With over 238 million users, LinkedIn is a great site for businesses looking to increase traffic and leads, as well as individuals looking to market their expertise for new career opportunities.
- 43% of US marketers have found a customer through LinkedIn (source: A Sales Guy Consulting)
- 61% of social media users primarily use LinkedIn for professional networking (source: Lab42)
- 60% of LinkedIn users have clicked on an ad on the site (source: Lab42)
- 51% of online business-to-consumer marketers use LinkedIn, compared to 83% for business-to-business (source: Brafton)
- Total number of LinkedIn users: 259 million (Source Cnet)
- Total number of LinkedIn business pages: 3 Million (Source LinkedIn)
- Average time a user spends monthly on LinkedIn: 17 Minutes (Source Mashable)
- Total number of LinkedIn endorsements: 1 billion
Photo Credit: Andreas Eldh
- Twitter users send 500M tweets each day (source: SEC)
- 231.7 million active users on Twitter worldwide
- 5000 tweets are tweeted every second
- 3 million websites integrate with Twitter
- 50% of technology companies have acquired a customer through Twitter (source: Hubspot)
- 25% of consumers who complain about products on Facebook or Twitter expect a response withing 1 hour (source: American Express OPEN Forum)
- 69% of online business-to-consumer marketers use Twitter, compared to 80% for business-to-business (source: Brafton)
Photo Credit: Sebastián Andaur
Google+ feels like a Sahara desert right now, but you must remember that Google is in it for the long run and they starting to integrate more Google+ features into the search results. I would suggest not to ignore it or you might have to play catch up to your competitors 5 years down the road.
- 70% of brands have presences on Google+, up 4% from Q4 2012 (source: Simply Measured)
- 41% of online business-to-consumer marketers use Google+, compared to 39% for business-to-business (source: Brafton)
- 12% of social media log ins by online retailers are with Google+ (source: Gigya)
- Facebook’s share of social logins dropped from 54% to 49% during 4Q12, while Google’s share increased from 25% to 31% (source: Janrain)
Photo Credit: Roxanne Ready
- 90% of US online specialty retailers use Pinterest, up from 81% in 2012 (source: L2)
- 83.8% of luxury brands have a presence on Pinterest (source: L2)
- 69% of brands have presences on Pinterest, up 10% from Q4 2012 (source: Simply Measured)
- 25% of online US women use Pinterest, compared to 5% for men (source: Pew Research Center)
- Pinterest is 3’rd largest Social Network
- Conversion rates for Pinterest traffic are 50% higher than conversion rates from other traffic and Pinterest is the top converting social media site for “Top of the Funnel” advertising.
- Pinterest buyers spend more money, more often, on more items than any of the other top 5 social media sites.
- 47% of U.S. online consumers have made a purchase based on recommendations from Pinterest.
- Pinterest generates 4x more revenue (per click) than Twitter and 27% more per click than Facebook.
- 80% of total pinterest pins are repins.
Photo Credit: Alistairwm
- Instagram users upload 40M photos to the site each day (source: Nielsen)
- 41% of brands post 1 or more photos per week to their Instagram accounts, up from 34% in Q4 2012 (source: Simply Measured)
- 59% of brands have presences on Instagram, up 9% from Q4 2012 (source: Simply Measured)
- 17% of teens say Instagram is the most important social network, up from 12% in 2012 (source: Piper Jaffray)
What social network has the most potential for your business? Where have you found success in acquiring new customers? Tell us in the comments below.